Maps are cool!

Maps are cool!

I loved being a boy scout growing up. I was part of an independent scout troop. We went everywhere! It was an amazing experience for me. 

One of the merit badges that I enjoyed was the orienteering merit badge. This merit badge, among other things, introduced young men to the skill of using a map to help them get from point A to point B. The first step in understanding how to use a map was to orient the map. This meant using a compass to identify which direction was north, orienting the map accordingly, and then taking the appropriate bearings. 

My dad and I practice using the compass a lot, along with using a compass. We started with a map of our neighborhood. Dad would map out a route, and I would need to use our map to go from point to point until I arrived at the final location. Gradually, we traded out the neighborhood map with a topographical map of different areas were would explore. 

On one specific scout camp, I recall our leaders taking us up the canyon we were in, dropping us off, giving us a map and compass, and then gave us our task: there was an injured hiker in the canyon and we needed to find them. Before leaving, our leaders gave us a walkie talkie in case we needed some help. As our leaders drove away, there was a sense of fear that began to fill the air. That is until we all realized something: we had a map, a compass, and we knew how to use them. After taking a minute to orient the map, we began to map out our path to the injured hiker. We finally reached our location, identified the hiker, administered first aide, and signaled the rescue team. It was a great adventure!

Addiction recovery requires a compass and map, too!

A major obstacle in addiction recovery is understanding where you are on your path to recovery. What addicts need most is a compass and a map. The first three steps of addiction recovery introduce the addict to the Savior, Jesus Christ, and a compass they can use on their journey through recovery: the Holy Ghost. Similar to the Liahona given to Lehi and Nephi (1 Nephi 16:10), the Holy Ghost can guide us through our life and on our journey through recovery. In order to hear the Holy Ghost, we have to exercise faith in Jesus Christ and be obedient to his commandments. If we do those things and have received the gift of the Holy Ghost, the Holy Ghost can be our constant companion. In a very real sense, the Holy Ghost is our compass.

Now we know we have a compass, the next question is where is our map? The map we use is the covenant path. As we make and keep covenants, we find ourselves on the path back to the presence of God. In a nutshell, the covenant path includes the following ordinances performed by one holding the appropriate priesthood authority:
  • Getting baptized
  • Receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost
  • Going through the temple
  • Being sealed in marriage
That's the map! It's as simple as that. Now comes the part I, like many other addicts struggled with: where am I on the map?

Moral inventory shows us where we are

The moral inventory found in step 4 is much more than a list of things done right and wrong. It helps us establish where we are on the coveant path. In my own experience, I knew I struggled with knowing where I was on the path. Those who complete a moral inventory are asked to identify much more than bad and good actions. The purpose of the moral inventory is to identify character traits acted on that led to the action.

In my experience, I found a lot of my addiction was tied to pride and lust. I would act out when I felt those character weaknesses. Similarly, when I didn't act out, it was usually because I felt joy, hope, and love for God, those around me, and myself. Sorting through my life with the moral inventory helped me know where I was on the covenant path. I began to see I really wasn't a bad person. I was a son of God who had picked up some bad habits. 

Knowing my weaknesses and strengths helped me establish were I was on the covenant path. I realized in a very real sense, I had a compass - the Holy Ghost - and a map - the covenant path - and I was oriented knowing where I was on the map - my moral inventory. With that information in hand, I found I could more fully turn to my Savior, Jesus Christ, repent, and come unto him in so many wonderful and powerful ways!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Addiction Recovery is not Passive

Be ready to pivot

Don’t let perfection be the enemy of good