How do I keep the changes I’ve made during my journey?

The largest organism in the world isn’t exactly what you think. I know for me, I always thought something like the blue whale was the largest organism in the world. Can you imagine my surprise when I learned one of the largest organisms in the world is my home state of Utah! There is an aspen grove in central Utah next to Fish Lake named Pando. This grove of aspen trees is thousands of years old and spans 108 acres. One of the many reasons why this grove of aspen trees has lasted so long is it’s root system. Under the ground, all the roots are intertwined together. So when storms and winds come through the valley, each tree anchors another tree. So in all reality, the only way to blow down one tree is to blow them all over.

It is easy to see how Pando’s strength has come from the storms and winds affecting it. Let’s consider one tree in the aspen grove. As a storm comes through, the tree will recognize it needs to grow a thicker trunk to withstand the wind. Additionally, since the tree’s roots are tied to the trees around it, the root system has to grow stronger to aide the surrounding trees. In essence, the tree grows stronger and maintains it’s strength as it helps the other trees around it.

A similar lesson is learned in the addiction recovery journey. Thinking about my journey and the initial storms that I faced, I see how many people served me and helped me stand tall. People like my wife, parents, sponsor, friends, and fellow brothers in ARP stood around me as I started. Now that I have several years of experience, there are people who need my help just as I need the help of others. The changes I have learned to make have made me stronger; however, if I think for a second that I can withstand the storms of life without helping those around me, I will be blown over like a single tree in a meadow.

The Lord, Jesus Christ, taught Peter “But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not; and when though art converted, strengthen thy brethren.” (Luke 22:32) Similar to Peter, when we gain a testimony of Jesus Christ and find success in him to overcome our addictions, it then becomes our responsibility to help those around us who struggle with the same addiction. The same call to Peter from Christ becomes our call to help those around us!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Story

Addiction Recovery is not Passive

Start writing