Constantly Checking Our Bearings

     Boy Scouts were an essential part of my childhood. I loved going to scouts and participating in the many merit badges. One such merit badge that I enjoyed was orienteering. The orienteering merit badge aims to teach scouts to be great at using compasses for navigation. [1

    During one such training, I recall a leader teaching us about choosing landmarks as we took bearings. He said to ensure we identified noticeable, stationary objects that we could always look toward and see. He added that we shouldn't select objects that were not noticeable or stationary. The example he used was an eagle in a tree. He pointed out that although the eagle was noticeable, there was a chance the eagle might fly away. We learned to look for landmarks we would always notice and could ensure would not move.

    This lesson I learned in orienteering applies to addiction recovery as well. There is a landmark that I have learned I can orient to and know I am headed in the right direction. This landmark is Jesus Christ. The Savior, Jesus Christ, is noticeable and stationary in his position. He stands still so we can look to him and know where we should go. His invitation is simple: "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, I will give you rest." [2]

    There are several ways I have learned to constantly check my bearings on my addiction recovery journey. I would like to share three ways I have constantly checked my bearings. First, there is a power in daily repentance. President Russell M. Nelson invited all people to find the joy of daily repentance. [3] What does this look like? For me, it looks like doing a daily moral inventory, identifying the thoughts and feelings that led to negative behaviors, turning those thoughts and feelings over to Jesus Christ, and making amends where needed. If you noticed these as step 4 through step 9, you'd be right! It seems like a lot, but it does get easier with time and practice. I first saw this from my sponsor. As we were discussing my week, he stopped and scribbled some things down. I was interested in what he had written down. He then said he thought of something that he had done in his past. In a matter of minutes, he walked through step 4 through step 9. I noticed he was more at peace by doing this and I decided that I needed to try this. It wasn't easy at first, but over time I saw the joy of daily repentance.

    Second, I have learned the value of checking in with spouses, parents, sponsors, mentors, those I sponsor, and Church leaders. I know that a negative trait I am constantly trying to give up is pride. There are times that I do things out of pride - not the "I'm proud of myself" pride, more so the "I'm better than you" or "I can do it without you" pride. In these situations, I find myself struggling to check my bearings. My pride blinds me from seeing my landmark, Jesus Christ. I have learned to speak up in these situations. There are many times I sit down with someone, explain my actions, and ask for help. As soon as I'm done, the individual almost always thanks me for trusting them, expresses love for me, and then shares their thoughts to help me see the Savior, Jesus Christ, and not my pride. Once the fog from my pride lifts, I can see the Savior, Jesus Christ, again. With that comes an understanding of what I need to do to repent and change. 

    Third, I have learned the value of journaling. I love to talk to people and find talking very easy. Unfortunately, I can speak fast and sometimes I don't think about what I say. I just kind of word vomit. This is not conducive to checking my bearings. When I write though, I have to slow down and think about what I write. I cannot write nearly as fast as I can speak. This forces me to slow down, and think through what I am writing, and pretty soon I find my bearings. I often find that the Holy Ghost teaches me the truth as I write. I can feel when I have written something truthfully or written something of fiction. Similar to Oliver Cowdrey, I am taught the truth in my heart and mind as I write. [4] This helps me keep my bearings with Jesus Christ.

    Being able to check our bearings and align with Jesus Christ is a crucial part of the addiction recovery journey. I know I have seen the powerful effect of checking my bearings daily. By doing this, I have been able to watch God help me make changes and come to my Savior, Jesus Christ. I can promise you that if you take this opportunity to check your bearings daily, you will find the Savior, Jesus Christ as well!

    Here's to another 24 hours! See you next week!


Sources:

[1] https://scoutermom.com/25200/orienteering-merit-badge-helps-and-documents/

[2] Matthew 11:28

[3] The Power of Spiritual Moment, President Russell M Nelson, General Conference, April 2022 

[4] Doctrine and Covenants 8:2


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Story

Addiction Recovery is not Passive

Start writing