Addiction Recovery is not Passive

There is a big push in the world today to develop passive income. The advertisements to develop passive income can be seen all over social media, news outlets, and folks just talking about it. For those who don’t know, passive income is an income stream that brings in money with minimal effort. It basically requires a little investment up front and then it runs itself.

This idea of passive income made me think of addiction and addiction recovery. Addiction is similar to passive income. Addiction starts small, with a little ‘investment’. Then it begins to build. The addiction develops into something bigger and bigger. Soon enough, it’s a raging monster that is out of control.

Addiction recovery, however, is not passive at all. Addiction recovery takes effort and determination. Addiction recovery takes consistent, daily effort no matter where you are along the addiction recovery journey. This realization that addiction recovery is not passive didn’t click for me for some time. I just expected that God would take the addiction away from me when I started attending recovery meetings.

Well, I bet you can guess how well that worked out. I stumbled and fell many times. In fact, I stumbled and fell all the time. I looked around at all the men I attended meetings with and just expected my story to fall in line with theirs. Little did I know that addiction recovery would be among the most active things I’ve ever done.

The Savior declared, “Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness; For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward.” (D&C 58:27-28) There is a huge blessing for those who approach addiction recovery with an active approach. Being anxiously engaged in addiction recovery is not easy, but it is worth it!

If you choose to go on this journey of addiction recovery, remember that addiction recovery is not passive - it is very, very active.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Story

Start writing